Ebira Trust Fund awards scholarship to engineering student

0
90

Lokoja

The Ebira Education Trust Fund in Kogi has awarded a scholarship to one Fahad Idris, an indigent Chemical Engineering student of University of Ilorin, Kwara.

The Chairman, Board of Trustees of the Trust Fund, Prof. Mohammed Salihu Audu, while presenting the award to the student in Lokoja, disclosed that it was one of numerous scholarships awarded to citizens of Kogi.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the gesture was part of efforts by the trust fund to encourage youths in Kogi in the pursuit of western education.

The N250,000 scholarship award is to enable the awardee to kick start his course of study in the university without any stress.

Prof Audu, who was represented by the board’s Secretary, Alhaji Hussaini Obadaki, sympathised with Idris, whom he said got scholarship to study in Turkey, but missed the opportunity due to poor financial status of the parents.

“Idris’ financial predicament is so pathetic and touching. This is a young man who did Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) examination last year and came out with flying colours and got admission to one of the universities in Turkey.

“Idris was given 80 per cent scholarship, leaving the parents to pay the remaining 20 per cent, yet it was a difficult task to meet.

“Unfortunately he lost the opportunity because the parents could not pay the 20 per cent. Fahad took it as a challenge and this year he wrote another JAMB and scored 340.

“This time around, he was also offered admission to read chemical engineering at University of Ilorin.

“Sadly, since the time the admission was offered to Fahad, the parents still couldn’t afford to pay the acceptance fee let alone the school fees” he lamented.

He pointed out that Idris’ predicament was brought before the Ebira Education Trust Fund by the leadership of Okengwe Development Association in Okene LGA.

According to him, upon investigation by the Trust Fund, every thing the association said about Fahad are true and touching.

“It was in this light that the scholarship of N250,000 was awarded to him by Ebira Education Trust Fund to enable him to pursue his education.

“As a trust fund we are soliciting for support from well meaning individuals, corporate organizations and the government to see that the young man is able to complete his educational pursuit with any hindrance, ” he pleaded

Audu said that the world deserved to support the less privileged in the society, especially those brilliant and intelligent students, whose parents do not have the financial strength to sponsor their education.

The Chairman, Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kogi State Council, Mr Adeiza Momoh-jimoh, presented the scholarship to the beneficiary at NUJ Press Centre, Lokoja.

He appealed to Kogi Government to assist the Trust Fund to enable it to render more assistance to the less privileged in the state.

“It’s unfortunate that at the time this Trust Fund was launched few years ago in Kogi, Gov Yahaya Bello’s Chief of Staff, who represented him, had pledged the sum of N300 million to the fund, which is still being expected.

“I hereby passionately appeal to the state government to please do every thing necessary to fulfill that pledge to the Trust Fund to help touch the lives of people like Idris, ” he said.

The NUJ chairman explained that mostly only civil servants were the ones contributing their token to the Trust Fund in its mission to touch lives in the state.

Momoh-jimoh, who commended the trust fund for finding him worthy to present the 2022/2023 scholarships to the beneficiaries, advised Idris to face his study squarely to get impressive grades that would justify the scholarship.

Responding, Idris, who was visibly joyous , simply said, “I lack the words with which I can express my appreciation to the BoT, members of Ebira Education Trust Fund and Ebira Youth Congress (EYC).”

“By God’s grace, I will not let you down but will do my best in the university to make them proud.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here