Four dead in clashes on anniversary of Guinea coup: opposition

0
78

Conakry, Guinea.

Four people in Guinea died in clashes between protestors and security forces on the second anniversary of a military coup, an opposition group said on Wednesday.

In a statement published on Facebook, a collective called Living Forces said four young men aged 15-18 had died on Monday and Tuesday. It had earlier put the toll at two.

The deaths brought the tally of fatalities inflicted by the security forces since June 2022 to 30, it said.

The poor, chronically unstable west African state has been ruled by the military since September 5, 2021, when soldiers forced out the elected octogenarian president, Alpha Conde.

In June the following year, the junta hardened its stance as the opposition clamoured on rights and democracy.

Since then, 108 people have also been wounded and hundreds more arrested and arbitrarily detained, according to Living Forces.

Acting ahead of the anniversary, the authorities reiterated a decree from May 2022 that barred “movements of support and demonstrations on public roads… in order to preserve the peace.”

No celebrations were held to mark the anniversary, but junta leaders made appearances on local media defending their record, including investing in hospitals and creating a court specialised in rooting out financial crime.

In the face of international pressure, the junta has promised to restore civilian rule by the end of 2024, purportedly to give it enough time to carry out institutional reforms.

But Living Forces says there has been no progress on a draft constitution, electoral code or body for managing elections, among key measures needed to return to civilian governance.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here