The European Commission on Monday said it has suspended all development payments for Palestinians following the Hamas attack on Israel, European Commissioner, Olivér Várhelyi posted on X, formerly twitter.
Várhelyi said aid projects worth 691 million euros (728.6 million dollars) were under review.
“The scale of terror and brutality against Israel and its people is a turning point. There can be no business as usual,’’ he wrote.
“The foundations for peace, tolerance and co-existence must now be addressed. Incitement to hatred, violence and glorification of terror has poisoned the minds of too many.’’
The EU and its member states were the largest donors to the Palestinian population, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said previously.
A statement said that the bloc plans to support the Palestinian people with 1.18 billion Euros for the period of 2021 to 2024.
EU foreign ministers are expected to discuss the issue at an extraordinary meeting which is scheduled for Tuesday.